Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Art for Art's Sake: Gizmo


Some kids books are fun for kids but a little on the slow side for us readers of the books. Some kids books really seem more geared for adults, I find myself thinking, "What were they thinking? Does this excite anybody who could be classified as a kid?" But a new book out this year wins my vote; fun for kids and fun for me! Phrases like "teetered topsy-turvily", "a mingle-mangle of intricate jury-rigged gimcrackery" and "some kind of gadgety whatchamacallit thingamajig" and words like "collapsion," "dereliction" and "dinosauri" make it fun to read and listen to. I have to admit I don't know what "nubbins" or "sproings" are, but it makes me want to find out! In this story Prof. Ludwig von Glink's experimental house/machine gets a little out of control, but in the end it's saved from demolition by the City Contemporary Art Museum 'for arts sake". Hooray for art! And if you find out what an "umbra" is, let me know.

1 comment:

David Grover said...

An umbra is the fully dark part of a shadow, as opposed to the partly dark part, the penumbra. It's mostly used to describe lunar eclipses.