Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Why Have Graham Crackers When You Can Have Chocolate Graham Crackers?

Lately, (Okay, since we got married) Melissa and I have often wondered why people don't eat more chocolate. I mean really, why would anyone eat a honey graham cracker if they could have chocolate one at no extra cost or effort? Why would anyone have regular milk if they could have chocolate milk instead? The same goes for candy, cakes, breads, and many dairy products.

Recent recipes we've turned chocolate:

Pancakes
Waffles
Crepes
Banana Bread
Milk
Graham Crackers and Milk
Smoothie


Look, we're all going to eat sugar. That's a given. What I'm saying is, if you're going to do it anyway, it might as well be in a worthwhile form. In 1999, the average American drank 53 gallons of soda pop! 53 Gallons! That a garbage can full! 2.3 cups a day. And that's average. There are people like me who maybe drank a gallon during the entire year--What are people drinking to keep that stat so high? On the other hand, in 2001 Americans ate about 10 lbs of chocolate per person and I'm sure I probably eat three times that much chocolate, so while truck drivers, soccer moms, and construction workers keep soda consumption high, I'm doing my part for the chocolate average. Still, we've got nothing on Europe. 16 of the top 20 chocolate consuming nations are from the continent, and the top chocolateering country--Switzerland at 22.36 lbs. per year, or about one ounce per day--more than doubles our average. Now...what group would you rather be in? The group that drinks 2.3 cups of soda every day, or the group that eats an ounce of chocolate everyday? Yeah, me too.

No comments: