Thursday, March 6, 2008

Welcome Back Amy!

My sister, Amy, has been serving in the New Jersey Morristown Mission for the last 18 months, waking at 6:30 every morning to study and going out to share a gospel message all day. She taught many many people, all in Spanish. I'm sure the work was grueling but oh so rewarding as she saw so many hearts change. On Tuesday she was finished and my parents and sister were there at the Mission Home to pick her up. She's currently showing them around New Jersey, places she lived and taught, and playing in New York City a little bit too! Here's just a little of her last email to us and her testimony:

I cannot believe I am writing you my last e-mail as a missionary. This moment at the library brings so many memories and such mixed emotions. An e-mail will never be adequate to express how I feel or what I have learned in these last 18 miraculous months of my life. I would like to share with you what I have come to know with certainty as I have served the Lord with all of my heart:

I know God lives. I know that He is the Father of us all. I know that we lived with Him and knew Him long before we knew reality as we know it now. I know that He loves us and is always watching over our individual plan of salvation.

I know Jesus is the Christ. I know that He was chosen before this earth life to do something no one else could ever do. I know that He came and did that when He lived a perfect life, suffered for our sins in the garden of Gethsemane, died upon the cross in Calvary, and rose again the third day. I know that He loves us. I know He is at the head of His church today.

I know that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is infinite and eternal. I know that it reaches far beyond the limitations we would place upon it with our finite minds. I know that the Atonement is for the sinner, and that because of the perfect sacrifice that was made, there is no child that will not be wrapped up in the arms of His mercy when all is said and done.
........

I am humbled by the extraordinary privilege I have had of standing as a witness of these truths for the last 18 months and 12 days. I feel grateful for what I have learned and very small when I think about how much I have yet to learn. I know that the work will go forward with great power until the Savior comes again in glory, to rule and reign upon the earth. “Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed” (D&C 123:17). It is my prayer that we may all move forward in the work of the Lord, led by the words of His prophets, doing His will cheerfully and with all our might. I bear witness of these sacred truths I have shared and most of all of the love of our Father in Heaven. May that love keep and bless you always.

Thanks for your great example Amy, you did it! Hooray and welcome home!


(Yes, that's an ice cream torch she's holding!)

No comments: